Current:Home > FinanceJohn Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs -FutureFinance
John Galliano out at Maison Margiela, capping year of fashion designer musical chairs
Johnathan Walker View
Date:2025-04-06 02:17:09
It's been the year of musical chairs in the fashion industry, and now, John Galliano is leaving his longtime home at Maison Margiela.
In an interview with Women's Wear Daily published Wednesday, Galliano confirmed his exit from the French luxury fashion house.
"As we are parting ways with this beautiful house, my heart overflows with joyous gratitude, and my soul smiles so I want to take this time to express it. I continue to atone, and I will never stop dreaming," Galliano told WWD.
He continued: "In inviting me to assume the position of artistic director in the house that Martin (Margiela) built, he gave me the greatest, most precious gift: The opportunity to once again find my creative voice when I had become voiceless."
The comments were made in reference to his infamous 2011 ouster from Christian Dior after a video surfaced of a 2011 rant at a Paris bar, where he made comments considered racist and antisemitic. That year, he was found guilty for two hate crimes. It followed a separate, similar incident at the same bar in 2010 a year earlier.
Need a break?Play the USA TODAY Daily Crossword Puzzle.
But in 2014, Galliano made a career comeback at Margiela.
"Being brave enough to unlearn, to re-educate ourselves from the past – for it is societally learnt – to share, empathize, and practice compassion," he added.
Galliano continued, praising Margiela parent company president Renzo Russo who he said "took a risk" and gave him "a second chance," telling WWD that his hiring "told the fashion industry that it is at its best when we collectively support each other, not judge; when we accept, forgive, and help one another see the error of our ways."
Alessandro Michele named new creativedirector of Valentino after Gucci departure
Earlier this year, ex-Gucci head Alessandro Michele got back in his creative director bag, this time at Valentino, following Pier Paolo Piccioli's exit.
"Maison Valentino is honored to announce today the appointment of Alessandro Michele as Creative Director," the brand announced in a statement shared to social media at the time. "This appointment marks the beginning of a new journey to continue shining unique values of the brand, its heritage and couture codes in the world through Alessandro Michele’s unique perspective and wealth of experience."
Michele called the appointment "an incredible honor," adding, "I feel the immense joy and the huge responsibility to join a Maison de Couture that has the word 'beauty' carved on a collective story, made of distinctive elegance, refinement and extreme grace."
Chanel is also facing a shakeup as fashion onlookers await the naming of a new fashion creative director. WWD reported last month that Matthieu Blazy, the Bottega Veneta creative director, is a frontrunner for the brand's top spot.
Contributing: Brendan Morrow
Disclaimer: The copyright of this article belongs to the original author. Reposting this article is solely for the purpose of information dissemination and does not constitute any investment advice. If there is any infringement, please contact us immediately. We will make corrections or deletions as necessary. Thank you.
veryGood! (189)
Related
- Why Sean "Diddy" Combs Is Being Given a Laptop in Jail Amid Witness Intimidation Fears
- Former United Way worker convicted of taking $6.7M from nonprofit through secret company
- Elon Musk holds his first solo event in support of Trump in the Philadelphia suburbs
- Dollar General's Thanksgiving deals: Try these buy 2, get 1 free options
- Why members of two of EPA's influential science advisory committees were let go
- Liam Payne Death Case: Full 911 Call Released
- How Larsa Pippen's Dating Life Has Changed Since Second Marcus Jordon Breakup
- Homeland Security grants temporary status to Lebanese already in the United States
- Senate begins final push to expand Social Security benefits for millions of people
- Harris and Trump target Michigan as both parties try to shore up ‘blue wall’ votes
Ranking
- 'Squid Game' without subtitles? Duolingo, Netflix encourage fans to learn Korean
- His country trained him to fight. Then he turned against it. More like him are doing the same
- Biting or balmy? See NOAA's 2024 winter weather forecast for where you live
- Why Billy Ray Cyrus' Ex Firerose Didn't Think She Would Survive Their Divorce
- Global Warming Set the Stage for Los Angeles Fires
- Former elections official in Virginia sues the state attorney general
- Dollar General's Thanksgiving deals: Try these buy 2, get 1 free options
- Harris’ interview with Fox News is marked by testy exchanges over immigration and more
Recommendation
Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
How Larsa Pippen Feels About “Villain” Label Amid Shocking Reality TV Return
BOC (Beautiful Ocean Coin): Leading a New Era of Ocean Conservation and Building a Sustainable Future
Poland’s president criticizes the planned suspension of the right to asylum as a ‘fatal mistake’
Head of the Federal Aviation Administration to resign, allowing Trump to pick his successor
'Lifesaver': How iPhone's satellite mode helped during Hurricane Helene
Cleveland mayor says Browns owners have decided to move team from lakefront home
U2's Sphere concert film is staggeringly lifelike. We talk to the Edge about its creation